There is currently a huge divide between police officers / agencies and the communities they serve. A divide that unfortunately grew in 2014 and that I hope to see begin to bridge itself in 2015. However, even though I just said “bridge itself”, it’s important to realize that this bridging will not take place on its own. The industry needs an emergence of leadership that is seriously lacking right now. (Tweet this!) Yes, there are some police officers and agencies out there doing it right, but for the most part, there is chaos and confusion and negativity and frustration – on both sides of the divide.
My friend and colleague, Tim Burrows, a retired police officer and now social media consultant for police agencies, is one of the ones out there doing it right. His goal and his passion is in helping police agencies leverage social media to communicate effectively with their communities. His latest endeavor is the launch of his new weekly (but also daily – yes, he found a way to combine both!) podcast, called The Police Podcast.
The introductory line of Tim’s podcast, to me, says it all –
“The Police Podcast brings together police officers, the agencies they represent and the communities they serve.”
– Because, as I’ve said above, these things absolutely need to be brought together.
Discussing this important issue on The Police Podcast
When Tim invited me on his show, I was excited to speak with him about this current crisis because it’s an important conversation that needs to be had. Within this podcast, Tim and I share our experience, insights and some best practices targeted for police agencies.
However, that said, the overall advice offered within this interview does not only apply to police and government agencies, it applies and is relevant to all organizations out there struggling to do right by their communities and enable their team to communicate effectively in a crisis.
Tune in to my interview on The Police Podcast
It’s a great, fun listen which I invite you to tune in to – and don’t forget to subscribe to Tim’s show via the links below!
Related listens that may interest you:
- TCIP #001 – Doing Crisis Communications Right with the Mountain View Police Department
- TCIP #011 – Discussing The #Ferguson Crisis with Tim Burrows
- TCIP #014 – Toronto Police Service, Their Customer Service and Crisis Preparedness with Chris Boddy
- TCIP #024 – The Illinois Model with Louis Hayes
- TCIP #029 – Managing the Law Enforcement Crisis Post Ferguson and New York with Captain Chris Hsiung, Tim Burrows and Louis Hayes