The social media crisis. So overwhelming. So controlling. So stressful. But it doesn’t have to be! Follow these 25 powerful tips and watch that crisis crumble to your mercy – and don’t forget the forgiveness and loyal following of your once angry customers!
- Speak! Don’t stay silent
- Confront the situation head on
- Don’t delete those negative comments
- Respond to each comment and complaint
- Be understanding, sincere and apologetic
- Build a loyal following before a crisis strikes
- Get all the facts before you release your official statement
- Release a detailed official statement
- Optimize your official statement for maximum reach
- Set up an FAQ that answers all possible questions about the crisis and your brand
- Respond in real-time
- Communicate with your staff
- Respond to the crisis on the same platform it broke out on
- Make every communication a two-way communication
- Don’t lose your cool – stay calm and focused on the end goal
- Understand that your customers are upset
- Clearly identify how you’re fixing the issue
- Explain how you will make sure the situation never happens again
- Give your advocates the opportunity to come to your defense
- Know which negative comments are not worth engaging with
- Never waver from your brand values or day-to-day message
- Regularly monitor the discussions around your brand (before, during and proceeding a crisis)
- Develop a social media crisis policy and make it accessible to all members of your staff
- Have a crisis team in place
- Understand the power of an apology
Special bonus tip: Document and analyze each event within the crisis
So there you have it! The 25 (+1) secrets to turning the tables on a crisis – taking the power away from the attacks and putting it right into YOUR hands!
Some strategies should be developed before a crisis, some during and some proceeding. But the important thing is to be prepared and capable of taking the negativity that comes with a social media crisis, and turning it into a positive opportunity for your business.
What secrets or tricks do you have up your sleeve for dealing with and overcoming a social media crisis? Share them with me below!
Author of Crisis Ready: Building an Invincible Brand in an Uncertain World, Melissa Agnes is a leading authority on crisis preparedness, reputation management, and brand protection. Agnes is a coveted keynote speaker, commentator, and advisor to some of today’s leading organizations faced with the greatest risks. Learn more about Melissa and her work here.