Discover how utility company, Alectra, successfully manages issues and crises as a regular course of business—and how their learnings and successes can be implemented into your crisis ready program.
Utility companies are no stranger to the multitude of challenges that present themselves in times of crisis. As a result, they have a ton of real-time crisis management experience that others can learn from. Alectra is one such organization.
With a 1,250 m2 (or 2,000 km2) service territory delivering power to approximately one million customers in Ontario, Canada, Alectra deals with issues and crises on a regular basis. In this episode, Blair Peberdy, Vice-President of Government and Corporate Relations at Alectra, joins the Invincible Brand Podcast to share the many crisis management lessons he has learned throughout his career.
About this episode
It’s always great to learn from the mistakes, successes, and lessons learned by others—hopefully saving you from having to learn them the hard way. In this episode, Blair shares the structure behind Alectra’s crisis ready program, along with the many lessons the company has learned throughout its years of managing dozens of real-life and simulated incidents.
This episode provides a behind the scenes look at the different strategies and tactics that Alectra has implemented into its crisis ready program. These strategies and tactics continue to help the organization further strengthen its crisis ready culture, and the best part is that each of the lessons that Blair shares within this conversation are directly applicable to your organization and team.
This episode explores:
- The multi-tiered prongs that facilitate Alectra’s crisis communication to its different key stakeholders.
- The structure of the company’s crisis management governance, including the different roles they’ve designed and how they ensure these roles are scalable with employee turnover and the growth of the company.
- The role that crisis simulations play in helping Alectra continuously strengthen its crisis ready program and its team’s skills.
- A look at Alectra’s post-crisis debriefing structure and processes.
- How social media has changed the crisis management landscape.
Connect with Blair and Alectra:
- Email Blair with any questions: email@example.com
- Learn more about Alectra at alectra.com
Author of Crisis Ready: Building an Invincible Brand in an Uncertain World, Melissa Agnes is a leading authority on crisis preparedness, reputation management, and brand protection. Agnes is a coveted keynote speaker, commentator, and advisor to some of today’s leading organizations faced with the greatest risks. Learn more about Melissa and her work here.