Welcome to episode #032 of The Crisis Intelligence Podcast, with Melissa Agnes and Daniel Noah.
Often, within my speaking engagements, I use the National Weather Service as a great example of innovative communications in times of emergency. Their collaborative and explorative mindset, their use of social media and mobile technology – they’re an interesting case study and a great example for others to be inspired by and learn from.
That’s why I was so thrilled when Daniel Noah, a meteorologist from the National Weather Service in Tampa Bay, agreed to sit down and have a candid conversation with me!
Within this episode of The Crisis Intelligence Podcast, Dan and I dive into the specific strategies that the NWS uses to communicate with their community in times of emergency.
This episode of The Crisis Intelligence Podcast discusses:
- What data mining is and how the NWS uses it to monitor the social sphere for important feedback, warning signs and more.
- The NWS’s strategy for dealing with doomsday photos that tend to go viral in natural disasters and put people in panic mode.
- The types of policies and procedures the NWS has in place to help them with their crisis communications and social media initiatives – and the internal obstacles they had to overcome to get where they are today.
- The NWS’s spirit of collaboration, from sharing policies that have proven to work for them, to partnering with existing apps that they know their target audiences are using regularly in order to communicate with them when need be.
- The NWS’s Wireless Emergency Alerts – How they use mobile and geo-targeting to distribute highly critical information to the masses, in real-time.
- The NWS’s Ambassador program – what it means to you and how you can benefit from joining this program (hint: you can save money on your insurance!).
This is truly an enlightening conversation. Enjoy!
Running time: 54:22
Learn more about Agnes + Day, The Crisis Intelligence Firm.
Google: “National Weather Service” + the city you live in for more information
Weather Ready Nation Ambassador Program: noaa.gov/wrn
Connect with Dan on LinkedIn
Follow the National Weather Service on Twitter: @nws
Thanks to Dan for having this enlightening conversation with me!
Author of Crisis Ready: Building an Invincible Brand in an Uncertain World, Melissa Agnes is a leading authority on crisis preparedness, reputation management, and brand protection. Agnes is a coveted keynote speaker, commentator, and advisor to some of today’s leading organizations faced with the greatest risks. Learn more about Melissa and her work here.